For the last week or so we have been visiting our children and grandchildren in Omaha,NE, Santa Fe, NM and now we are in California (SF bay, Santa Cruz) visiting Dennis's parents. It has been a rewarding time. I don't have a fancy camera so I can't post any pics yet but hopefully I should be able to soon. As I said in an earlier post I was reading the lost Diary of Jane Austen. The book read itself very fast and was very Fascinating. The writer did a fabulous job in making this a gripping story that made it hard to put the book down. If you like any of Austen's writing I definitely recommend this reading. Personally I had never been aware of a writer by the name of Jane Austen. Learning of her life and customs of her time brought the writer to a level of personal friendship and with this book under my belt I have felt encouraged to go and search out her writings and dive into them...soon....because for now I have been enthralled by this new book I picked up in the airport shop called: The Constant Princess by Phillippa Gregory
This is a historical novel that takes place in the 1500's of English Tudor Royal Palace. While the thickness of the book can be a little intimidating, I propose you start reading it when you know you will have time to steal because you might not be able to put it down either. It also made me realise how much sacrifice children of Royal Blood line had to suffer just to survive and how they were often "bred" only to be used as business pawns in the intricate world of medieval politics. Kingdoms were won and lost based on the ability to seal a treaty by promising "betrothal " of a child not even yet conceived! And many queens were cast aside simply because an heir was more important than Love, Kindness, or ability to properly advise a household such as the Royal Palace of England. All the while I was reading this book, the story of modern Princess Diana kept poking at the back of my head and sadly I was noting that some things hadn't changed as much as we might like to think....When I was visiting Valeriane in Santa Fe she was reading the book by the same writer called The Other Boleyn Girl. Valeriane kept saying in exasperation <<I can't put this book down!>>. I now can't wait to read this next book!
I always liked to read and, in the last few years, it seems as though life was so hectic and stressfull that I allowed myself to forget to take care of myself. Reading is a wonderful way to relax and get re-energised for whatever life hands out. It allows me to escape a little while, and also, through good writing, I find myself inspired by expanding knowledge.
It is very important that we do not neglect the healthy stimulation of the brain. I also realised that in just these last 2 weeks of intense reading, TV programs have seemed a complete waste of my time and energy and I have felt very strongly an intense black hole in my soul when I was subjected to the programs that came across the screen. The weather channel is about the extend of my interest it seems......
5 years ago
1 comment:
Wow mom. So cool! I love reading what you write. Great writer and very interesting. You need to keep writing on this blog. I am so happy to hear you are reading more and find tv less interesting. It is true that once you step away from it you see more of the idleness it provides. Share more read more! I can't wait to hear more about what you read and think. You have a great way of putting it into words.Thank you!!!
Post a Comment